Total Pageviews

Sunday 31 January 2016

Second Hope

January 2016 has been pretty tough as cancer has publicly reaped a lot of celebrities, someone's death is always terrible but I would point out that I lose friends like this every month all year round relentlessly.

A lot of the people I lose would love to get to 69 before cancer takes them, but again I would like to point out that dying of cancer is always awful.

Lastly I am going to take this opportunity to point out something else, between all these sad news bulletins of celebrities passing away will be cancer research adverts telling you that we are winning against cancer, now you must be questioning if this is true, you are right to.

When these ads tell you that 50% of people are surviving cancer they mean 50% live 5 years from diagnosis. If you were diagnosed at 40 like me would you regard living to 45 as a success? I don't know of any age really where 5 years to live would be good news!

Cancer research do a lot of good especially on the prevention side of things but what's really needed for my friends and unfortunately those in the public eye who are no longer with us, is research into kinder treatments, making cancer a long term chronic condition and awareness of the realities of a cancer diagnosis - such charities do exist - support second hope!

http://www.secondhope.org.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment